After these things Jesus showed himself again to the disciples by the Sea of Tiberias; and he showed himself in this way. Gathered there together were Simon Peter, Thomas called the Twin, Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two others of his disciples. Simon Peter said to them, ‘I am going fishing.’ They said to him, ‘We will go with you.’ They went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.
Just after daybreak, Jesus stood on the beach; but the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to them, ‘Children, you have no fish, have you?’ They answered him, ‘No.’ He said to them, ‘Cast the net to the right side of the boat, and you will find some.’ So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in because there were so many fish. That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, ‘It is the Lord!’ When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on some clothes, for he was naked, and jumped into the lake. But the other disciples came in the boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from the land, only about a hundred yards off.
When they had gone ashore, they saw a charcoal fire there, with fish on it, and bread. Jesus said to them, ‘Bring some of the fish that you have just caught.’ So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, a hundred and fifty-three of them; and though there were so many, the net was not torn. Jesus said to them, ‘Come and have breakfast.’ Now none of the disciples dared to ask him, ‘Who are you?’ because they knew it was the Lord. Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and did the same with the fish. This was now the third time that Jesus appeared to the disciples after he was raised from the dead.
- What does it mean to be forgiven?
- Where is the love in Jesus’ confrontation of Peter?
- In what ways can death glorify God?
- Who around you needs “restored”?
- No More “I Love You’s” by Annie Lennox
- Keep Fishin’ by Weezer
- Fisher of Men, by M. Ward
- Gimme All Your Love, by Alabama Shakes
- Stay Together for the Kids, by blink-182
- Tell Me You Love Me, by Desert Noises
- Waiting-Reprise, by George Michael
- A Prayer of St. Patrick, by John Rutter & The Cambridge Singers
- I Still Care for You, by Ray LaMontagne
- The Ground Walks, with Time in a Box, by Modest Mouse
The old life
tugs the line, hoping
to catch you.