Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. ‘Teacher,’ he said, ‘what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ He said to him, ‘What is written in the law? What do you read there?’ He answered, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.’ And he said to him, ‘You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.’
But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbour?’ Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.” Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’ He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’
- “Good fences make good neighbors“
- Momentary Mercy in the Animal Kingdom
- Jericho (Here and Here)
- Oil and Wine
- When was a time you received mercy?
- What does it mean for your faith that Jesus defines love as ‘showing mercy’?
- What would it mean for the church if it were characterized by ‘showing mercy’?
- How does this story alter the way you view those outside of the church who show mercy?
- Can’t Sleep, by Pentatonix
- Hero, by Family of the Year
- The Mercy Seat, by Johnny Cash
- How Can I Tell You, by Cat Stevens
- Ramble on, by Led Zepplin
- Ashes in our Mouth, by Megadeth
- Midnight City, by M83
- Once I Was, by Tim Buckley
- Magnetized, by Wilco
- Pride (In The Name Of Love), by U2
Have mercy I cried / Go and do likewise, he says / and that’s all there is.