Praise the Lord!
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the works of the Lord,
studied by all who delight in them.
Full of honour and majesty is his work,
and his righteousness endures for ever.
He has gained renown by his wonderful deeds;
the Lord is gracious and merciful.
He provides food for those who fear him;
he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works,
in giving them the heritage of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy.
They are established for ever and ever,
to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
He sent redemption to his people;
he has commanded his covenant for ever.
Holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practise it have a good understanding.
His praise endures for ever.
- Congregation of Shape Note Singers
- “Great are the works of the Lord“
- On Wisdom
- Redemption…but only crudely so
- Who is in your ‘congregation’?
- In what ways are you mindful of God’s covenant?
- What would it look like if your town were governed by the statute: the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom?
- In what ways do you practice the “fear of the Lord”?
- My Home Town, by Blitzen Trapper
- Take Me Home, Country Roads, by John Denver
- All My Days, by Alexi Murdoch
- Can’t Exist, by Joseph Arthur
- Cigarette Daydreams, by Cage the Elephant
- Shake it Out, by Florence + the Machine
- Dreams Where I Am Sleeping, by The Tree Ring
- Keep Your Head Up, by Ben Howard
- Thunder Clatter, by Wild Cub
- DJ, by Alphabeat
Entering / Fade into many / but still one