So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into the boats and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus.
When they found him on the other side of the lake, they said to him, ‘Rabbi, when did you come here?’ Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.’ Then they said to him, ‘What must we do to perform the works of God?’ Jesus answered them, ‘This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.’ So they said to him, ‘What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ’ Then Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.’They said to him, ‘Sir, give us this bread always.’
Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
- Ancient Israelite Cuisine and Roman Food Preservation
- Manna (Exodus 16)
- You’d Be Surprised to See Who’s on Food Stamps
- What principles guide your actions when confronted by a beggar on the side of the road?
- What is the “food that endures for eternal life”?
- In what ways does hunger (or other forms of impoverishment) help or hinder one’s relationship with God?
- What redemption is there for those dying of hunger in the streets of America?
- We Don’t Eat, by James Vincent McMorrow
- One Chance, by Modest Mouse
- The Miracle, by Queen
- Take it Easy, by Surfer Blood
- Hunger Strike, by Temple of the Dog
- I Don’t Think So, by Dinosaur Jr.
- Golly Sandra, by Eisley
- Paperback Suicide, by The Evangelicals
- One Mile Down the Road, by Marwood
- Coldsweat, by the Sugarcubes
Daily bread / keeping me humble / wanting more