Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised
in the city of our God.
His holy mountain, beautiful in elevation,
is the joy of all the earth,
Mount Zion, in the far north,
the city of the great King.
Within its citadels God
has shown himself a sure defence.Then the kings assembled,
they came on together.
As soon as they saw it, they were astounded;
they were in panic, they took to flight;
trembling took hold of them there,
pains as of a woman in labour,
as when an east wind shatters
the ships of Tarshish.
As we have heard, so have we seen
in the city of the Lord of hosts,
in the city of our God,
which God establishes for ever.
We ponder your steadfast love, O God,
in the midst of your temple.
Your name, O God, like your praise,
reaches to the ends of the earth.
Your right hand is filled with victory.
Let Mount Zion be glad,
let the towns of Judah rejoice
because of your judgements.
Walk about Zion, go all around it,
count its towers,
consider well its ramparts;
go through its citadels,
that you may tell the next generation
that this is God,
our God for ever and ever.
He will be our guide for ever.
- In what ways is God your guide?
- What have you discovered by ‘pondering the steadfast love of God’?
- In what ways is God calling you to carry God’s name to the ends of the earth?
- What holy things would you discover walking around your city?
- Rise to the Sun, by Alabama Shakes
- Who Is It, by Bjork
- To Save Me, by M. Ward
- Running Wild, by Matt Pond PA
- Road to Zion, by Petra
- Fire’s Highway, by Japandroids
- Cayman Islands, by Kings of Convenience
- King of the Mountain, by Midnight Oil
- He Doesn’t Know Why, by Fleet Foxes
- Down the Hillside, by Jose Gonzalez
Looking up / for security / and splendor