Bible Leads is a rendering of my sermon preparation: researching facts & cross-references, drawing up connections through personal experiences, art and music and discerning the essence of the text.
He also said, “The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.”
He also said, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.”
With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his disciples.
- Concerning birds in nests: Watch this hummingbird build her nest.
- Apparently, the best mustard in the world comes from the UK.
- The Wiki on Jesus’ apt use of parables.
- Botany of the Wheat Plant (just as it sounds)
- Which small decision has made the biggest impact in your life?
- How patient are you? How hopeful are you? In what ways do hope and patience influence your faith?
- What image of the kingdom of God most resonates with you?
- Concerning the birds who nest in the branches of the mustard bush: what do you make of the kingdom of God as a source of comfort?
1) As Long as the Grass Shall Grow, Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash 2) The Nest, Jose Gonzalez 3) Simple X, by Andrew Bird 4) Mother Nature’s Son, by The Beatles 5) Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, by Radiohead 6) Another One Goes By, by The Walkmen 7) Defriended, by Beck 8) Lift Me Up, by GIZMO, featuring Nick Hakim 9) Hideaway, by Passion Pit 10) Bankrupt on Selling, by Modest Mouse
Dropped hot dog / Happy, gold mustard / All over